Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ch. 5 Reflection

Chapter 5: Content-Area Instruction

In this chapter I learned was SDAIE is and how teachers of this can help teach english learners the language through teaching them lessons in different content areas. For example, the teacher may be teaching the class a certain concept in the area of social studies. They make the lesson in a way that the students are able to understand what they are supposed to do and communicate with others, therefore learning the english language while they are being taught something in a specific subject.

I hate that some teachers think students cannot learn because they do not speak their language. It is important to realize that all students can learn and that a first language is important to a child's identity and the child deserves to be respected. The child should use their first language to build off of to learn the second language. It drives me crazy that some teachers won't allow the children to speak in their own language or that a child is stupid because they speak a different language.

It's important to make connections for students in lessons, "bridges" for learning. I also agree with the importance of reviewing lessons. I think it is crucial to summarize lessons are activities and brushing over the concepts and vocabulary that were key to that lesson. (I myself am extremely apt to forgetting things quickly. Having a quick overview of what was just learned helps me understand it better and it sticks in my head a lot more. Sometimes it is not until this happens that I even make the appropriate connections of how things tie in together).

It was fun to read the section on mathematics. A quick conclusion to draw would be that it's numbers and children will be able to recognize that quick and easy. However, once you think about the language we use when it comes to mathematics...well, it would make me scared. Even subtraction sounds like a scary word even though is a very basic concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment